BBQ Pizza with Oyama Sausage
Many of our products at Oyama are made for the BBQ – bratwurst, sausages, smokies, etc. But your BBQ is also great for cooking something else: PIZZA! Pizza is best when cooked very hot. Without access to a pizza oven or a professional kitchen, your BBQ is the next best thing!
1 lb ball of uncooked pizza dough
1 tbsp olive oil
½ cup tomato sauce or pesto sauce
About ½ cup of your favourite cheese (grated)
1 fresh Oyama sausage – we make about 200 varieties
Additional toppings such as Oyama prosciutto or salami, sliced vegetables, herbs, etc.
- Lay the dough ball on a lightly-floured surface. Press and stretch it into a thin sheet; approximately 10” across. Lightly brush the top side with olive oil.
- Cut a lengthwise slit in the sausage with a sharp knife and pull of the casing. Pinch off bite-sized chunks of sausage and form into little balls. Cook the sausage balls in a frying pan for about 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Pre-heat BBQ to about 600°F with the lid on.
- Prepare your additional toppings (slice the meat, chop the veggies, grate the cheese). Place them near the BBQ so they’re ready to add mid-way through the cooking process.
- Flip the pizza dough onto the BBQ grill, olive oil side down. Cook for about 2 minutes with the lid up. The dough will become firm and grill marks will appear underneath. Lightly brush the top of the dough with olive oil and flip before it becomes too crispy.
- Quickly add the ingredients starting with the sauce. Finish with the cheese.
- Lower the lid and cook about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pizza and let cool for a few minutes. Cut into pieces and enjoy!